If you’re looking to improve or maintain your overall health, try walking. It is a great form of exercise that can increase cardiovascular fitness, strengthen bones, reduce excess body fat, and boost muscle power and endurance – for just 30 minutes a day. Walking is a not only a form of exercise, but it is also a means of transportation for some people. So, whether you’re walking for fitness or to get somewhere it is important to stay safe.
To avoid accidents and injuries on a walk keep these walking tips in mind, provided by the NHTSA:
- Follow the rules of the road and obey signs and signals.
- Walk on the sidewalk whenever they are available.
- Walk facing traffic if there is no sidewalk.
- Don’t be distracted while walking, avoid using electronic devices that take your eyes of the road.
- Use cross streets, crosswalks, or intersections, where drivers expect pedestrians.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, locate a well-lit area where you have the best view of traffic.
- Never assume a driver sees you. Make eye contact with the drivers as they approach to make sure you are seen.
- Be always visible. Wear bright clothing during the day and wear reflective materials or use a flashlight at night.
- Watch for cars entering or exiting driveways or backing up in parking lots.
- Avoid the use of alcohol and drugs when walking.
Slip & Fall Accident Lawyer in Rhode Island
If you’ve been injured due to the inattentiveness of a property owner or site manager, you need to speak with the passionate Rhode Island slip and fall accident Attorney Fred. T Polacek. The Law Offices of Fred T. Polacek serve in Providence, RI, and the surrounding area, including southeastern Massachusetts. Call us at (401) 861-5662 or fill out our contact form for a consultation.