Cooler air and beautiful fall foliage are telltale signs that the season of Autumn is here. Rhode Island may be the smallest state in the country, but it boasts some of the best scenic routes for motorcycle riders to enjoy. Although the Ocean State is filled with miles of panoramic roads to explore, a growing number of traffic fatalities involving motorcycle riders has state officials concerned.
The state witnesses about 13 motorcycle fatalities a year, but as of August there have already been 10. Peter Alviti, director of the Rhode Island Department of Transportation is distressed stating that, motorcycle riders have made up nearly one-third of all highway fatalities in Rhode Island, and many of them were not wearing helmets.
Motorcycle Riding Safety Tips
As motorcyclists ready their bikes to ride through the roads of Rhode Island this season it is important that they take the proper safety precautions to avoid accidents, or worse fatalities.
2. Wear adaptable gear. Fall weather can be unpredictable – cool mornings, hot afternoons, rainy days. Having adaptable gear that you can adjust to the temperature will help maximize riding comfort.
3. Protect the eyes. During the fall the sun is naturally lower in the sky. This causes sun glare which can lead to poor visibility when riding on the road. Wearing only light tinted shades or a helmet with retractable sun shade or even photochromatic shield can help improve vision.
4. Keep eyes open for wildlife. Animals tend to be more active in the fall during mating, migration, or foraging. So, keep your eyes peeled when riding to avoid any collisions with wildlife.
5. Be visible. Wear high visibility colors and reflective gear to make yourself more visible to automobile drivers. The prevalence of shadows and glare in the fall season makes a motorcyclist less visible.
6. Beware of traction. On lightly traveled roads overnight frost or precipitation can linger on the road surfaces into the later part of the morning. The ice on the roads offers less traction and can cause accidents if a rider is not careful.
Have you been in a Motorcycle Accident? Contact us for help
With years of legal experience, The Law Offices of Fred T. Polacek is a dependable law firm when it comes to representing victims of motorcycle accidents. Our firm has helped many accident victims receive financial support and peace of mind. If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident because of an irresponsible driver, contact Attorney Fred T. Polacek today. We serve in Providence, RI, and the surrounding area, including southeastern Massachusetts. Call to speak to a qualified legal advocate at (401) 861-5662.